Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I can't not blog about this

So I know everyone's been talking about it but I don't think many people who live in the area near school can understand the trauma I have suffered from the freak hailstorm as I live closer to the city. Get me a fricken Shamwow already!


First of all, I'd just like to say that my tennis game was cancelled because the hailstones were the same size as the tennis balls. It was quite strange and slightly humourous at first, and as it started to pelt down and Mum was pulling out of the 'no exit' driveway at school, we spotted Christine and Daniel trying to get home in the rain. Daniel didn't know what hit him. Heh-heh-heh. Get it? Because it was hail? Hit him in the head.... okay, I'll move on.

After that, we started driving home on the freeway. It sounded like we were getting shot at and
I kept cringing every time a really big hailstone hit the car. I said, trying to be reassuring, "Don't worry Mum, it won't dent the panels because they explode on impact."

I also find bullshitting a source of inner peace...
Mum's car has now got dents like that all over the front bonnet and the right door and panels of the car. Yoohoo?! insurance company!?
So then we got home and inspected the hailstones for the first time, and lord, I have never seen anything so big. (that's what she said... heh heh... sigh, I need to stop doing that. It's not helping.)


We're keeping one in the freezer.


Say hello to the abominable hailstone.

Okay, so then our power went out. Bit of a bummer, but we have mountains of candles in our house for some strange reason so we all got to work setting fire to everything.
Pyromaniacs, assemble!


Candles are not romantic. Candles are for times of darkness... like when the Jedi temple was destroyed by the Siths. Why didn't they have any candles there? They should have.


So then the leaking started. Our house isn't really all that new so it took it kinda badly... not to mention the leaks tried to kill our CD collection and also the power plug in the study.


we went from plan a (towels...)


to plan b (buckets...)


to plan c (a combination of buckets and towelage)

here's some videos I took of the storm. Nothing especially special but pretty cool nonetheless.



So here's the damage so far:
----- mum's car dented
----- dad's car semi-submarinal (he drove through, ummm, a 'puddle' on the way home and flooded the engine.... not good, says mr. mechanic...)
----- lounge room carpet flooded
----- lounge room ceiling cracked
----- gutters in state of repair
----- not to mention we were without power for 24 hours.

that said, Western Power have done pretty well to get us back up again. There was something like 150 thousand homes without power yesterday and now it's only about thirty or forty thousand. they're doing alright.
Plus, playing poker in the dark with matchsticks is the most fun I've had in a long time. Also waiting in line at McDonald's for half an hour for food is fun, too.
Should have heard the guy in front of mum's car at the drive through.
Guy: Can I have two fries, two cokes, two big Macs and seven cheeseburgers please...
Server: Sorry, how many cheeseburgers?

Mum thought he was feeding an army, but my sister said that it was only for two blokes - they only got two fries and cokes, didn't they?

And I've found that even in the midst of the storm, there's always something beautiful to find.



and quite a lot of snails, too.

So, henceforth, how about we get our rain bit by bit and not all at once? Too much to ask? Alright then... until the next major news bulletin...

2 comments:

  1. wicked video....epic music video anyone? hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard for an amazingly long time through that shamwow advertisement. funniest shit ive ever seen.

    ReplyDelete